The major unit operations involved in silk garment making consists of the following.
- Pattern design and pattern making;
- Silk Cloth cutting, grading process by mechanical cutting system and piece bundling;
- Sewing by sewing machine;
- Trimming and inspection;
- Ironing and pressing for finishing process; and
- Button-hole making, buttoning, and fixing of zippers and other accessories are done at all required points.
The silk fabric in different colors/designs is spread on a table and is cut with hand scissors as per required design size and shape of the garments. The cut pieces are stitched by lock/sewing machines. Button holing and stitching, hook attaching etc is done manually. The garments are then pressed and packed in cartons.
Production of silk garment does not have any negative impact on environment.